Friday 26 June 2009

Wacko


I was always too much of a punky rocker to "get" Michael Jackson. Now, like Abba, I can dance at a party to a few tunes but it's no more than nursery songs. Inoffensive, sure. But I don't get this idea of him as King of Pop (a title he insisted upon). You want a Pop star? Marc Bolan, back in the day, worked for me fine. Jacko's videos were BIG and that helped spread the fame but, really, how many of the 70 million people who bought "Thriller" actually listen to it? It's entertaining enough but without the video would it have been so huge? So, cheesy pop in itself isn't a crime. Just doesn't rock my boat. And then there's all the kiddy fiddling, surgery, Scientology etc. Yeah, yeah, he had a shit childhood, but all that squeaky, high-voice whining on shows like Oprah hid the fact he was a 50 year old man. He knew what he was doing. I'm not saying he's Gary Glitter but there was something not quite right there...

No comments: